Through the teaching of English at St Matthew's we aim:
- To instil a love of English and learning
- To develop literacy skills that will allow students to communicate effectively through writing and speech
- To empower students to reach better outcomes and opportunities, both in the subject and in their futures.
At the end of his/her English education at St Matthew's, we hope to have helped each student to achieve the highest GCSE grade they are able to:
- Express their ideas clearly and creatively
- Write successfully for a range of purposes
- Approach texts critically and perceptively
- Gain a wide experience of literature through the reading of full texts and extracts
Homework / Assessment
Formal assessments are completed each half-term, with end of year examinations for each year group taking place in July. Teachers will also closely monitor progress through a variety of assessment methods. Homework is set weekly for all year groups and aims to consolidate and extend in-class learning.
Resources and Facilities
The department has eleven teaching classrooms, all equipped with interactive whiteboards. As well as teacher support, students are able to access help from Graduate Teaching Assistants and a specialist Intervention Tutor through teacher recommendation.
Rewards and Recognition
Students are encouraged to earn stamps on their reward cards by showing positive attitudes to learning and demonstrating effort and progress. Full reward cards can be exchanged for a small prize and entry to the half-termly raffle. Each teacher also nominates a Star of The Week to receive a postcard home and certificate.
Celebrations of success, as well as key information, are regularly posted on the department’s Twitter feed @SMRHCS_English.